This smoothie is one of the BEST smoothies I had in a while. It is so creamy, yummy and sweet plus it contains one of the healthiest berries on earth: Acai!
But, what's all that fuss really about? "The acai (ah-sigh-EE) berry is a grapelike fruit harvested from acai palm trees, which are native to the rainforests of South America." (mayoclinic.org). Many people say the berry helps and promotes weight loss, but there aren't many studies to prove that. What can be said however is that it contains a lot of antioxidants, which are known to keep your skin young and healthy and might even help prevent cancer by inhibiting the oxidation of other molecules in your body, which produce free radicals. Those molecules can start chain reactions (wikipedia.org/wiki/antioxidants).
In addition, I also added blueberries. They contain a high amount of antioxidants, are low in calories, might help to lower blood pressure and a few studies even show that blueberries help to maintain brain function and improve your memory (http://authoritynutrition.com/10-proven-benefits-of-blueberries/).
A real superfood mix is what we have here! Let's get started with the recipe!
ACAI BLUEBERRY SMOOTHIE
serves 1 (about 500ml smoothie)
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 cup blueberries, frozen
- 1-2 cups liquid (I like oat mylk but you could also use water), depends on how thick you like your smoothie
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tsp acai powder
- 2 dates, pitted (use medjool dates if you can, but others work fine, too!)
- Chop up your banana.
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and let it run until smooth. It usually takes a minute or two.
- Pour in a pretty glass and serve ;)