Healthy & Easy Vegan Pancakes with Chocolate Sauce




I've been making pancakes for quite some time now. Even when I used to eat animal products, I tried making vegan pancakes a lot. For me, it always was "the ultimate goal" to make good vegan pancakes, because in the beginning it seemed unpossible to make them taste good, look good and healthy at the same time. I experimented a lot (a lot is to come!) with different flours, wet ingredients, egg substitutes, sweeteners, etc. until I finally found was works absolutely perfect every time.



One of my favorite flours is spelt. I like the taste it gives to any bakes good. See my Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffin here and my Black 'n' White Almond Butter Muffin here. Plus, whole grain flours like spelt will keep you satisfied longer and won't let your blood sugar levels spike like crazy, leaving you feeling sluggish and hungry after a few hours.

Another advantage of this recipe is that it does not contain any additional sugar while still being super sweet (bananas for the win!). It's amazing how 1/2 banana can totally transform the texture and taste of a recipe. I love them.

Talking about love, I'm pretty sure I'm in love with that chocolate sauce. It tastes ah-maaaay-zing! And with only 2 ingredients, it really does not get any easier.

I hope you like the pancakes, let me know in the comments below if you try them out and hashtag #mangoandcoconuts on Instagram if you post them so that I can see!





SIMPLE VEGAN PANCAKES

serves 1 

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup spelt flour
  • 1/4 cup non-dairy milk (learn how to make your own oat milk here)
  • 1/2 banana, mashed
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • a few drops vanilla extract
Method:
  1. Peel & mash your banana with a fork in a small bowl. Add vanilla and milk and mix. 
  2. In a second small bowl, combine flour & baking powder. 
  3. Pour banana mixture into the flour and stir until it forms a dough. If it's too runny, add a tbsp of flour and if it's to thick, add a splash of milk.
  4. Heat up a large skillet with a little coconut oil. 
  5. Per pancake, use 1 large tbsp of pancake batter. Cook them on medium heat about 3 min per side. While they're frying, prepare the sauce.



2 INGREDIENT CHOCOLATE SAUCE

makes 2 small and one chocolate-lover portion

Ingredients:

  • 2 tbsp rice malt syrup (or if you're really fancy try maple syrup - it's a killer)
  • 1 tsp cocoa powder
Method:
  1. Mix, mix, mix. 
  2. Pour over pancakes. 
  3. YUUUUM. 

LIKE IT? SHARE IT!