CREAMY CHIA OATS with STEWED PLUMS and OAT MYLK

As the weather gets colder (okay not quite it's still over 30°C here - buuuut it won't be long until fall enters our lives and our kitchen) and the summer produce disappears slowly, I am getting more and more excited about chai lattes, cinnamon, pumpkin (and it's latte) and OATMEAL - in combination with plums.



Every year - and sometimes even every month - I change how I make my oatmeal. Because I always feel like I have discovered something new and even better than before. Then, I eat it over and over again every day until I try out another method (to be repeated). Right now, this is my favorite way to cook oats. It's super quick, easy and creamy.

I adapted the recipe for the stewed plums from Taline Gabriel's Hippie Lane App (click here!). I have to admit that this app is one of my favorite recipe apps and one of the few that I constantly keep on my phone (I'm quite an app minimalist). It's part of the "rise and shine" bundle, an in app purchase that is all about lovely breakfast recipes.

I made this recipe the first time on a super gloomy and rainy day and enjoyed it with a cup of tea watching the latest TED talks - having the best morning ever.

Below, I share some optional add-ins that will make your oatmeal different every time and give it a nutritional boost (or, in case of the brown sugar a tasty boost). Hope you like it!

I would recommend setting up the plums first, then the oatmeal. The oat mylk is best when made ahead in larger quantities.


Creamy Oatmeal

serves 1 

  • 1/3 cup oats
  • 2/3 cup liquid (I like to use just water but you can also sub for oat mylk if you want)
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/4 cup oat mylk (see recipe below)
  1. Combine Oats and water (or oat milk) in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. 
  2. Reduce heat to low (about 2 out of 10) and stir in chia seeds. Let simmer for about 3 minutes. 
  3. Turn off heat completely and add the oat milk. Stir a bit and transfer it to a small serving bowl. 

Optional Add-Ins (Choose as many as you want)

  • 1/2 tsp mesquite
  • 1/2 tsp maca
  • 1/4 tsp spirulina
  • 1 tsp matcha
  • 1 tbsp organic brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
  • 2 tbsp brown rice protein powder (I like sun warrior)
  • 2 tbsp PUR YA! protein powder
  • 1/4 cup crushed nuts (walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts..)
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • ...
I topped my oatmeal with 1/2 banana, some goji berries, mulberries & sunflower seeds - so good!

Stewed Plums

serves 1 

  • 2 plums, cut in 2 halves and a few smaller pieces (to change it up a bit)
  • 2 tsp rice malt syrup
  • 1 tbsp water
  1. Place water, plums & rice malt in a small saucepan and turn heat to medium. Let simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
  2. Pour over hot oatmeal. 

Oat Mylk

makes about 3 1/4 cups
  • 1 cup oats 
  • 3 cups water 
  1. Blend oats & water together in a high speed blender until smooth.
  2. For a creamier texture, pour through a sieve. For a lighter mylk you can also use a nutlike bag.
  3. Store in the fridge for about 4 days. 
  4. You'll have to give it a good shake before use because it'll separate in the fridge (that does NOT mean it's bad!)